Sometimes I have to easy myself into the writing process slowly. I’ve noticed my slow transition from regular-everyday-Anne-mode into Anne’s-writing-mode.
· I’ll turn on my computer then go do something else in another room.
· Then I’ll come back to my computer and open a blank word document (or the document that I want to work on) and then I’ll leave the room again.
· After a little while, I’ll come back to my desk, look at the word document, and then maybe check my e-mail (which I probably had just checked 5 minutes earlier).
· When there’s nothing left to respond to in my inbox, I’ll return to the word document and read over the last paragraph, maybe even make a few minor edits (ex: add or remove a comma).
· Next, I might check facebook to see if anyone has poked me or sent a message or posted anything new or put up an interesting status message.
· At this point, I either return to the word document, dig right into the writing, get lost in it for hours, or I decide I just can’t sit at my desk anymore so I leave my computer to start something completely different (like making a snack or reading a book or
I find I go through this agonizing process more frequently when I haven’t written in awhile. When I get into the habit of writing every day, sitting down at the computer gets easier. It’s like Anne’s-writing-mode BECOMES regular-everyday-Anne-mode.
Eventually, one day, I hope the two modes will consistently be one and the same.