My great love is reading and writing novels, but I enjoy writing short fiction and creative nonfiction, too.
In 2008, I won runner-up in a short story collection competition, which resulted in the publication of my book Growing Up Girl. Some of my stories and articles can be found in Blood Lotus Literary Journal, Toasted Cheese Literary Journal, Harrisburg Magazine, WOW! Women on Writing, and other online publications. See more publication information below.
I've been a competitive swimmer since age three and I still compete with a master's swim team. I'm a freestyler—I love middle and distance events, but I'm stronger at the sprints. I've been a national competitor and finalist, as an age-group and master's swimmer. I dabble in trail running and triathlons, too.
- Doctor of Education in Adult Education, Pennsylvania State University, Harrisburg, PA
- Master of Science in Communication Studies, Shippensburg University, Shippensburg, PA
- Master of Arts in Creative Writing, University of East Anglia, Norwich, England
- Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing and Women’s Studies, Hamilton College, Clinton, NY
Creative Publications/Awards & Journalism
- Short fiction published in multiple literary journals such as Toasted Cheese, Blood Lotus, Red Weather, White Rose, and From the Fallout Shelter, 2004-2014.
- Greenawalt, A. (2012). The mirthful soundblast. Spruce Mountain Press: Past Loves Day Story Contest. 4th place. Retrieved from http://www.ourpastloves.com/index.php/2012-contest-winners
- Greenawalt, A. (2010). Ghost hunting with Godzilla. Philadelphia Writers’ Conference Writing Contest. Honorable Mention.
- Greenawalt, A. (2008). Growing up girl. WordClay: Short Story Collection Competition Runner-Up.
- George A. Watrous Literary Prize for Fiction (2006) from Hamilton College, Clinton, NY.
- Multiple articles published in Harrisburg Magazine, 2008-2011.
Professional Grants, Scholarships & Workshops
- The Kenyon Review Novel Workshop (June, 2014). Participant.
- Penn State Harrisburg Graduate Student Research Scholarship Recipient (2014) to attend the Adult Education Research Conference at Penn State Harrisburg in Middletown, PA.
- HACC Adjunct Professional Development Grant Recipient (2013) to attend the Gettysburg Review Conference for Writers.
- Gettysburg Review Scholarship Recipient (2013) to attend the Conference for Writers in Gettysburg, PA.
- Shippensburg Graduate Student Research Grant Recipient (2012) to present “Face-to-Face vs. Online Writing Consultations for Graduate Students” at the 23rd Conference of the Mid-Atlantic Writing Centers Association at Shippensburg University, Shippensburg, PA.
- Highlights Foundation Grant Recipient (2009) to attend the Life in the Spotlight Workshop in Honesdale, PA.
- Free Reads Grant Recipient (2007) for a manuscript critique from The Literacy Council, Norwich, England.